Phonics: Teacher's Reading Hero
apple, apple, aeh aeh aeh!!!
I was an Education student, Second Year College to be exact, when a mother asked me to teach her son. His son was about to enter Pre-School then. I was happy I was able to teach him how to write his name, name the letters of the alphabet, of course he was not able to distinguish all for it was just 2-month session. I was also able to teach him how to count up to, as far as I can remember, 20... I also taught him the principles of addition and subtraction. He was also able to write his name.
I know I failed to teach him reading. I didn't feel guilty because it was just a summer session. But I heard, that student of mine still excelled in his class.
When I learned teaching Phonics as the reading foundation, I was very hapy because when I taught a four year old kid, she was able to read. And I was able to teach kids how to read... As of now, I have around 10 kids whom I teach under my Summer Reading class. And they were able to read.
How to Teach Phonics as the Basic Reading Foundation?
1. The teacher must master the sounds of each letter.
Teaching kids is not easy task. It's not only because you know and you have mastered Phonics, that means you can make a kid read. No. teaching a kid how to read needs patience. And love that's springing from the heart.
Kids cannot distinguish a sound from other sound of letters easily. The teach must use gesture, facial expression or object to associate with a certain sound.
e.g. Letter a= It can be associated with open mouth.
e= can be pronounced with a smile
i=can be said with eyes blinking.
o= mouth opened like circle.
u= pouting lips
The kids can easily distinguish letters and sounds if it's associated to something. But be sure to emphasize the letter more. The negative side effect of that is the kid might remember the "associated something" instead of the letter. Test the kid if he can distininguish a certain letter, what is associated with the letter. And how to write it. That's important so that in the end, the student can also write what he reads.
I know I failed to teach him reading. I didn't feel guilty because it was just a summer session. But I heard, that student of mine still excelled in his class.
When I learned teaching Phonics as the reading foundation, I was very hapy because when I taught a four year old kid, she was able to read. And I was able to teach kids how to read... As of now, I have around 10 kids whom I teach under my Summer Reading class. And they were able to read.
How to Teach Phonics as the Basic Reading Foundation?
1. The teacher must master the sounds of each letter.
Teaching kids is not easy task. It's not only because you know and you have mastered Phonics, that means you can make a kid read. No. teaching a kid how to read needs patience. And love that's springing from the heart.
Kids cannot distinguish a sound from other sound of letters easily. The teach must use gesture, facial expression or object to associate with a certain sound.
e.g. Letter a= It can be associated with open mouth.
e= can be pronounced with a smile
i=can be said with eyes blinking.
o= mouth opened like circle.
u= pouting lips
The kids can easily distinguish letters and sounds if it's associated to something. But be sure to emphasize the letter more. The negative side effect of that is the kid might remember the "associated something" instead of the letter. Test the kid if he can distininguish a certain letter, what is associated with the letter. And how to write it. That's important so that in the end, the student can also write what he reads.
No comments:
Post a Comment